Bulk Storage of AA and AAA Batteries using an Ammo Box 13

I have been using rechargeable batteries for 20+ years. We are finally to a point that AA and AAA have enough voltage, capacity and shelf life to use them as replacements for alkaline batteries. It use to be that with rechargeables you would have to recharge them before every use. Oh the wall clock is dead go plug a battery in the charger for a few hours. Now with Sanyo eneloop AA and AAA you can charge a battery and it will hold a charge for up to a year.  One thing that has always bothered me is where do I store all these small batteries.  So I purchased some small 8 cell and 4 cell holders.   They were nice but I ended up with a ton of these small holders.  What I needed was battery box designed to hold AA and AAA cells.  I searched Amazon and Google but never really came up with a battery box that was reasonably priced and would hold enough cells.  That was until I found a blog with flashlight geeks talking about storing all their batteries in ammo cases.  Even when I found this blog there was more research as they did not list the model numbers.  They just were referencing long ammo case for AA and short ammo case for AAA.  So I hit Amazon looking for ammo cases.  I turns out there must be a million types of ammo and just as many cases and none of them say the word battery.  But it turns out some reviewers were posting about certain ammo cases working great for AA and AAA batteries.

For AA batteries I purchased the MTM 50 Round Flip-Top Rifle Ammo Box WSSM, 500 S&W (Clear Blue)

AA Battery Box

and for AAA batteries I purchased the MTM 41/44 Cal 50 Round Flip-Top Ammo Box

AAA Battery Box

13 thoughts on “Bulk Storage of AA and AAA Batteries using an Ammo Box

1. Reply Monu Koshy Aug 25,2013 10:11 pm

Fantastic. Have been looking for battery cases that could hold all the batteries togather in one case rather than to have packs of 4 batteries in one case.
    I brought the 100 ammo case for MTM 41/44 for aaa and flip top rifle ammo for aa respectively based on your suggestion, and they fit perfect.

2. Reply Doug Dec 7,2013 5:40 am

What a great idea! I was looking at other battery storage solutions but all had space for “C” and “D” batteries which I did not need. I just ordered the two cases you recommended. I hope you get credit for it some how. Thanks for the great idea!!!

3. Reply Justin Sep 5,2014 6:25 pm

You can also use the Plano 50 round .44 mag handgun ammo case (#1226-50)or even the Plano 100 round .44 mag ammo case (#1226-00)if you need another option for the MTM 41/44, for your AAA case. And the Plano 50 round case #1229-50 for the AA.

4. Reply Sam Dec 4,2014 5:51 pm

I wish I read this before. I purchased 3 ammo cases on amazon, thinking it would fit AA, but it fit the AAA perfectly (the same one you mentioned). I will now buy the one you recommended for AA batteries. Thanks.

5. Reply anotherguy Jun 18,2015 9:12 am

Hi there,

Just bought a black/grey version of this box and my Black Eneloops do not fit in there. Is this one slightly larger or are White Eneloops smaller than the blacks?

Thanks

• Reply admin Jun 18,2015 1:02 pm

I have the black eneloop AA’s and they fit fine in my blue MTM 50 Round Flip-Top. Is your problem they are too tall or to wide?

6. Reply Victoria Jan 9,2016 9:17 pm

Hi all,
    Just wondering how the plano boxes compare to the MTM boxes for storing batteries.

Are the ones that Justin (above) mentioned, a little larger (height) than the MTM ones – do the batteries ‘roll around’ a bit in the plano ones?
    #1226-50 for AAA
    #1229-50 for AA

It’s a bit cheaper for me to get hold of the plano ones over here in the UK compared to the MTM ones. Though both are more expensive here than in the USA 🙁 And neither are easy to get hold off here. 🙁

7. Reply bigfutz Apr 5,2016 2:26 am

I’m most interested in storing CR123a. Short and stubby, I can’t think of a cartridge that would match it. Maybe some thing larger, twice the height and double stack them? That case would also be ideal for 18650’s. I think I’ll load my pocket with batteries and head out to Cabela’s.

• Reply T.Returkus Jul 16,2017 6:01 am

12ga MTM boxes should handle the CR123 which is about a ’64 calibre'(12ga is 73 calibre) . They will be a lot shorter but I am thinking they would be able to actually double stack in each compartment so the MtM 12 ga 25 case would hold 50. Just a guess.

8. Reply Derek Wilson Aug 20,2016 7:33 pm

Thank God for the internet and geeks like me! I am ordering these today. May the force be with you always!

9. Reply SAM Jul 22,2017 1:01 am

Can anyone please provide the model/item no. for “MTM 41/44 Cal 50 Round Flip-Top Ammo Box”. I have the model/item no. for “MTM 50 Round Flip-Top Rifle Ammo Box WSSM, 500 S&W”, RSLD-50

10. Reply Jason Aug 25,2017 9:58 pm

Awesome thank you! Just ordered both!